Today is my first day at a new, in-office writing gig and the day I signed my contract, I decided to make these delightful little things for Hubs since I wouldn’t be able to make him breakfast before his early morning classes anymore.
I know…I know…Yes. I make him breakfast. Why? I like to. And Hubs is the type of person who thinks he can power through the day on fast food or just one big meal at dinner. So, if he’s going to eat breakfast, he needs a little help.
That’s where these lovelies came in. They are light whole wheat english muffins with turkey sausage, egg whites with spinach and Weight Watchers American cheese singles. The whole thing comes to about 300 calories. AND it was really easy to make along with being cheaper than the yummy Jimmy D-light sandwiches. You just pop them in the microwave and YUM (instructions at end of post for microwaving).
The only thing I would do differently (which I noted in the recipe) is that the muffin tin I have was smaller than the size of the English muffin. Mine got pretty thick, so I sliced them in half. You can either do it that way, or just cook thinner eggs by filling 12 muffin slots instead of 6 and placing two on each sandwich.
Ready-to-Eat Frozen Breakfast Sandwiches
1 package of 6 light, whole-wheat English muffins
6 frozen turkey sausage patties
1 carton of liquid egg whites (you can use a real egg per sandwich if you like)
6 Weight Watchers American cheese singles (or any lite brand)
(optional) 1/2 cup fresh spinach
Canola oil cooking spray
salt & pepper to taste
6 Paper Towels
6 ziplock freezer bags
1) Pre-heat oven to 500 degrees. Cut English muffins in half and arrange on a cookie sheet. Place in oven for a couple of minutes until lightly toasted. Cool on wrack.
2) Defrost turkey sausage patties according to directions in either microwave or oven. Place on English muffin halves.
3) Spray Canola oil cooking spray inside the muffin (I recommend 12 slots unless you ant thick, tiny egg circles or if you want to cut them in half yourself like I did). For double, thin eggs (two on each patty), fill each of the 12 slots with 2 table spoons liquid egg whites. Chop up spinach and mix in each cup with salt and pepper (or other spices you want. You know me. Always shaking my Italian seasonings on things). Reduce oven to 350 degrees and cook eggs for about 10 minutes. Feel free to do it in 5 minute increments to make sure you don’t over cook. The eggs are done with they slightly rise and firmly jiggle in the center like a cheesecake. Let them cool.
4) Place two egg patties on top of the turkey sausage. Then follow with the cheese slices and top of the English Muffin.
5) Wrap in paper towel and seal inside small, Ziplock freezer bag and freeze.
6) When ready to eat, remove sandwich from plastic bag and microwave in the paper towel. Reduce power to 5 and microwave for a minute. Flip on other side and microwave on full power for another minute. Enjoy!