Well, I’ve been tagged in another author-y blog hop! I’ve been tagged by the lovely Kathleen S. Allen for the “Writerly Meme” which is all about my main character from my latest novel. Surprisingly, the TRUTH ABOUT TWO-SHOES isn’t my latest novel (that’s right! Already have another in the works). But because Pitch Wars is approaching and because my TWO-SHOES main character Ellie deserves her day in the sun, I figured I’d go out on a whim and feature her.
1) What is the name of your character? Is he/she fictional or a historic person? Ellie McSatterfield is 16-years-old and completely fictional.
2) When is the story set? Because this is a contemporary young adult fiction, it is set in current times. And just for fun and Southern flare, it’s set in Eden, Mississippi.
3) What should we know about him/her? When you meet Ellie in my book, you find out she’s six months pregnant, super quiet about it, and begrudgingly the daughter of a well-known pastor. She also used to be a super talented color guard flag person with her former best friend Francis Grace. But FG and her boyfriend Brandon both dumped her after she, ya know, got pregnant.
4) What is the main conflict? What messes up his/her life? Obviously what shakes things up in her life is her unexpected pregnancy. But the main conflict surrounds the abandonment by her friends and rejection from her father– two things which terribly shake up her faith in God. Also, as a result of being abandoned, she joins a group of random misfits who are a bit rough around the edges but insist on taking her under their wing– and as a result, one of those new “almost-friends” insists on seeking revenge against Ellie’s baby daddy– something she’s not sure she really wants to pursue.
5) What is the personal goal of the character? Ellie just wants to survive junior year and still somehow be herself, if she is still in there. She also wants to keep all her secrets surrounding her pregnancy because she’s afraid it’ll ruin her life even more.
6) Is there a working title for this novel, and can we read more about it? The title for this novel is THE TRUTH ABOUT TWO-SHOES. The name comes from the nickname her new friends give her. They call her “Two-Shoes” because she’s a former goodie-two-shoes now that the goodie is gone. A short excerpt about the book will be posted on Brenda Drake’s blog as a part of Pitch Wars starting Nov. 4th. So be sure to check it out there! I may post an excerpt on my writer site too at www.NikkiRoberti.com.
7) When can we expect the book to be published? There’s no telling, but hopefully I’ll get an agent through Pitch Wars this year– but agent has to come first. I’ll keep y’all posted.
And now to tag! I hereby tag Emily Herring Dunn and E. G. Moore!