It’s no secret that I have a love affair with my small, hand-me-down slow cooker. That’s why I have a whole Pinterest board dedicated entirely to crock pot recipes.
Recently I was browsing Pinterest when Addison came up behind me and was like “OH MAKE THAT!” And it was a pretty picture of a Greek Chicken Pita. So I figured, why not? This week we decided to make it and I was surprised by the recipe. I didn’t trust it at all. So, like any good Italian does, I winged it and made it my own after consulting like 10 different recipes that were similar. It was probably one of the best things I’ve ever had. Addison loved it too. And it made a ton! It went perfectly with a chopped Greek salad, which I made the dressing myself.
I’ve been getting really interested in the clean eating movement and realized that most of the salad dressings in my fridge have way more crap in them than actual salad dressing. It turns out, I had all the ingredients in my pantry anyway. That recipe will be at the end after the crockpot goodness.
Crockpot Greek Chicken Pitas
Yields: 6 servings (depending on your portion sizes)
4 frozen chicken breasts
1/4 cup 99% fat free chicken broth
1 yellow onion
1 cup chopped mushrooms (optional)
1 tsp minced garlic
1/2 tbs lemon juice
2 tsp black pepper
2 tsp oregano
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
1 tomato chopped or 1 cup of cherry tomatoes quartered
1/4 cup reduced fat feta cheese. (optional)
6 Whole wheat pitas (optional)
1. Spray crockpot with olive oil PAM until it’s fully coated (about 5-10 seconds). Put all but the last 5 ingredients in the crockpot. Make sure to stir the mixture so the frozen chicken is coated with the seasonings. Feel free to add more seasoning as you see fit. Turn the crockpot to low for 6-8 hours.
2. Drain the excess liquid from the crockpot when the cooking is done. Shred the chicken in the crockpot with forks.
3. Stir in greek yogurt, cucumber, tomatoes and feta cheese. Serve in warmed pitas (wrap them in foil and place them in the oven at 300 degrees for about 10-15 minutes). Or, serve on top of a bed of fresh greens like lettuce or spinach.
*Nutrition Facts (without pita): Serves: 6 Calories: 154 Carbs: 5 Fat: 8 Protein: 171 Sugar: 17
Chopped Greek Salad with Homemade Dressing
Yield: 2-4 people (this served the husband and I for one night because we like to make sure we eat a lot of salad)
1 head of romaine lettuce
1 cup of chopped cherry tomatoes (or whole tomatoes)
1/2 red onion (or less depending on personal onion preference)
1/4 cup reduced fat feta cheese
2 tbs olive oil
2 tsp red wine vinegar
1/2 tbs lemon juice
1/2 tsp minced garlic
1 tsp oregano (or more to taste)
1 tsp dillweed (or more to taste)
salt and pepper to taste
1. Chop all vegetables into bite sized pieces, including Romaine lettuce. Toss with feta cheese.
2. Mix together salad dressing. Toss with vegetables.
*Nutrition Facts: Serves 4 Calories: 133 Fat: 33 Carbs: 51 Protein 20 Sugar: 23
BAM! Best, freshest salad I’ve had in a while. This will definitely be something we have in our house again.
*Nutrition facts estimated according to the My Fitness Pal recipe calculator.
ohmygosh — I have an obsession with chicken kabobs over greek salads, and this sounds DIVINE! I’m going to have to try it 🙂
I hope you like it! Let me know what you think! I’m obsessed with Greek food and this was my first time actually trying to make something myself.